Introduction to the Geography of Agriculture
Video: The Lost Empire of the Tiwanaku (study questions)
- Describe the climate of the Bolivian Altiplano. Why is it so hard to
practice agriculture there?
- What was the significance of water to the Tiwanaku civilization?
- Explain why raised field agriculture works so well at an altitude of
- What caused the fall of the Tiwanaku civilization?
- How does the Aymara's quality of life today compare with that of their
- How has the rediscovery of the ancient raised field method of agriculture
changed the lives of the Aymara today?
Video: The Promise of the Land (study questions)
- What is our great abundance of food based on?
- How long does it take soil to form?
- Describe modern industrial agricultural practices in terms of:
- use of water
- pest control
- soil conservation
- Wendell Berry states that modern industrial agriculture is producing
greater yields than ever before at a greater cost than ever before. What
are the costs he describes.
- How do the Vogelsburg's 'good farming practices' differ from the modern
- How did salinization destroy ancient civilizations? How does it threaten
- According to Michael Robinson, what happens when complex ecosystems