Tracing the Origins of Production
Choose a consumer product to research and write an essay about.
The product should be manufactured and packaged. Please include
maps, illustrations, proper citations, and bibliography.
Your assignment is to map out all the different locations involved
in making your product. For the purpose of this class, let's assume
that the most raw materials originally came from the developing
world, and that much of the low-skill manufacturing took place
- Make a list of all the components of which the product is
made. Please include all parts of the product including each
ingredient and the individual elements of the packaging.
- Then, list all the raw materials, and steps in the production
process required to manufacture and assemble the final product.
- Make a map that locates where the raw materials were extracted
from, where they were processed, and the location of export processing
and final assembly operations.
- Then, map out the brains of the operation. Where are the
headquarters for the companies that made the product. Try to
identify specific corporations and their subsidiaries worldwide.
- Last, write a brief description of the production process
including an estimated number of workers involved and who they
are most likely to be.
and Industrial Geography
instructions on how to hand in
citations and bibliographies
evaluation of essay assignments
geography research on the web